U Street Heart and Soul Food Tour
U Street, known as "Black Broadway", has been the heart of the African American music scene for over half a century.
Once the home of jazz legend Duke Ellington, it continues to be a vibrant, exciting and quintessential Washington DC neighborhood.
On the Food Tour, we will take you from the U Street corridor to Little Ethiopia, sampling a variety of cuisine that follows the history of the neighborhood, from its humble roots, to its prominence to the African American community, to its rebirth and newfound eclectic diversity.
To book standard food tours on our calender, please call us at 202-851-2268.
For large group tours, customized tours, culinary team building, pub crawls, or other events not on our standard calendar, please contact the DC Metro Food Tours office at 202-851-2268, or by email at email@example.com
We will take you through the corridor, sampling a variety of cuisine that follows the history of the neighborhood, from its humble roots, to its prominence to the African American community, to its rebirth and newfound eclectic diversity
We recommend you eating a light brunch before the tour rather than lunch. The dishes you will try resemble small meals rather than traditional tastings. We want you to be able to experience the best each restaurant has to offer.
Your Food Tour may include the following specialties:
- Traditional soul food
- Creole and Cajun cuisine
- European inspired dishes from a neighborhood speakeasy
- Modern low country cuisine
- Fresh-made southern style desserts
- When:Wednesdays at 5:00 pm (please see the event calendar for current availability)
- Where: Meets near U Street Metro (The exact meeting location will be provided upon ticket purchase)
- how long:The food tour will last approximately 3-3.5 hours
- Who:All age groups and fitness levels are encouraged to take the tour
- How much:$60 per adult ticket (plus a ticketing fee). We will be sitting for all dishes.
- What to Wear:Comfortable clothing and shoes
- What is Included: All food and drinks are included in the tour.
- Weather:Food tours will take place rain or shine- tours may be rescheduled based on severe conditions
purchase food tour tickets here
Private, Group, Corporate Events and Tours
“I live in DC and took my family on this tour when they visited. We all loved it. The restaurants were great and the guide was fantastic. I think I am going to try the Adams Morgan Foodie tour next!”
Stephanie T - April, 2017
“This was really fun :) Great tour we enjoyed”
Jane M - March, 2017
“What an amazing look at the U Street and Shaw neighborhoods! I have family who originally lived in U Street area and many of the things I have heard from them is like what I heard on tour too. The food was great - I really enjoy good food and soul food is important to me. Although there is so much more than just soul on this tour.”
Ricky R - November, 2016
“This food tour was excellent. Great variety and quality of restaurants, friendly staff at each, and interesting facts and history about the neighborhood given by the knowledgeable tour guide. ”
Martha S - Aug, 2014
“We loved this tour. Great experience! ”
John G - Oct, 2013
“I loved the tour. The food was very good and our tour guide was very knowledgeable. We are planning to take our next tour very soon! ”
Jen I - May, 2013